Thursday, February 10, 2011

UICRC Brother and Sister Authors - Poems

32 comments:

  1. Acrostic Poem

    “Christian”
    by Christian M., Grade 3

    Creative
    Helpful
    Runs in the park
    Into superheroes
    Storyteller
    Terrific
    Imaginative
    A big brother
    Nice

    “If the World Was Crazy What Would Christian Eat?”
    (based on the poem by Shel Silverstein)

    If the world was crazy, you know what I’d eat?

    A big slice of ice and a whole ocean of meat,

    A lemonade hot dog, and then I might try

    Some roasted popsicle or a house pie,

    A nice book salad, an apple pie roast,

    An omelet of milk and some crisp box toast,

    A thick malted milk made from ice skates and book bags,

    And that’s what I’d eat if the world was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My Brother is Really Kind"
    By Alessandro S., Grade 2
    (Based on the poem, My Brother's Really stingy by Jack Prelutsky)

    "My Brother is Really Kind"

    My Brother is Really Kind.
    He shares with me sometime.
    He lets me play with him, but sometimes I watch.
    My brother is really kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An Acrostic Poem
    Anthony, Awesome Name, Awesome Guy
    By Anthony Lo Coco

    A Awesome and athletic!
    N Nicolete is annoying!!
    T Tricky and ticklish!!!
    H Hates homework!!!!
    O Only wears black!!!!!
    N Needs football!!!!!!
    Y Yay- mint chocolate chip ice cream!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mentor Text: “I Love that Boy” by Walter Dean Myers
    Love That Grandpa
    By Anthony Lo Coco

    Love that grandpa,
    Like I love mint chocolate chip ice-cream
    I said I love that grandpa
    Like I love mint chocolate chip ice-cream
    Love to call him in the morning
    Love to call him
    “Hey there, Polka-Dot Grandpa!”

    Hate that Sister
    By Anthony Lo Coco

    Hate that sister,
    Like dogs hate cats
    I said I hate that sister
    Like dogs hate cats
    Hate to have her watch me when my friends are at my house
    Hate to have her in charge of everything
    “Hey sis, you’re lucky I’m your brother!”

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Triolet
    Mentor Text: “The Cow’s Complaint” by Alice Schertle

    Dog with a Smirk
    By Anthony Lo Coco
    My dog ate my homework
    I don’t know what to do!
    He is a jerk and likes to smirk
    My dog ate my homework
    He’s making me go berserk!
    He ate my shoe too
    My dog ate my homework
    I don’t know what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janna (Grade 5)

    I Am What I Am

    I am from horse rides and country sides
    I am from Navy Pier to Ford City
    I am from guitar strings to drum sticks
    I am from iPods to skateboards, laptops too

    I am from lazy days to sleepy days and watching TV
    I am from grandmas to sisters and my little dog Maxie
    I am from candy to s’mores
    I am from listening to music to singing and dancing
    I am from glasses to contacts
    I am Janna Myers and I am what I am

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Alley-oop
    By Kiet
    Bright red jersey,
    Slam dunk.
    Foul,
    Free throw,
    Jump for rebound.
    Run,
    Dribble,
    Dribble,
    Pass,
    Shoot,
    Dunk.
    Let’s go Bulls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Untitled poem on loss by Airriona Jones, age 13:


    Granddaddy
    I was crying tears in my room on the floor
    My heart was beating so fast it was like turning rope
    I was so lazy to do work I stayed home and cried to sleep woke back up and start crying again.

    My grandma was feeling very inner turmoil
    he was a good man
    her whole life turned around
    She didn’t talk until his funereal

    He never turn down family no matter happen
    He was right they’re when my little brother leg was broke
    He was there


    Auntie Sally
    She was my best auntie
    She always use to talk to me
    All the time
    When ever I need to talk to her
    She another person that was always there
    For my great uncle
    She loved going out to parties
    She was a skinny loving person
    Who loves kids
    She was a very crazy loving auntie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mentor Text:
    The Best part of me by Wendy Ewald

    Kayla, grade 3

    My Heart

    I love my heart because it is red. I like that I get to keep everyone I love inside of it. It hurts when I laugh too hard. I hear it pump very fast when I am scared. It holds your blood. I love my heart because it understands me when I am sad. My heart is protected by my ribs. I love to hear when my heart is happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mentor Text:
    The Best Kind of Love by Slayton Goodman

    What love is to you
    By Kyriel King
    Love is like tastes of pizza that you like
    Love is sick of anger and getting over it
    Love is like kiss when love someone they give you kisses
    Love is not playing because when someone love you you don’t want them to play with your love

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mentor Text:
    "If I..." by Bill Dodds

    If I Could Do Something…
    By Jake

    If I met Megan Fox,
    I would say, “WOW!”
    I would go inside her mansion,
    Then we would go out to chow.

    If I was a movie star,
    I would go to Hollywood.
    I would want to see a lot of movie stars.
    My nickname for Hollywood is Lollywood.

    If I was a chalkboard,
    I would go to a town in Italy,
    And feel people writing Italian words on me.
    I hope that people won’t forget to clean me.

    If I was God,
    I would see all-
    Including Patrick Kane #88.
    That’s because I’m so tall.

    That’s what I would do…
    If I met Megan Fox,
    Or if I was a movie star,
    Or if I was a chalkboard,
    Or if I was God.

    ReplyDelete
  12. John P. 2nd Grade

    Alliteration Poetry

    Tim and Ty Meet the Treasure Man

    Ty and Tim
    Tied a thin string
    To a dark door
    They opened the dark door
    To see the golden stone
    And a tall, thin man.
    He was in a big, black jacket.
    He turned around
    With his big body
    He looked at us
    He was creepy
    Then he shook our hard hands
    And said, “It’s ok, I have tons of treasures
    To share with you.”

    ReplyDelete
  13. “Christian’s Instructions to the Artist”
    by Christian M.
    (based on the poem “Instructions to the Artist” by Billy Collins)

    I wish my head to appear like a triangle,
    and since the canvas should be of big dimensions.
    please trace the triangle with a windowpane.

    My face should be painted with
    a dark sense of detail;
    pretend you are executing a big pyramid.

    The result should be a happy expression.

    The body is not great matter;
    just draw some thick lines
    with a red pencil.

    The background I leave up to you
    but if there are to be big lines,
    lots of paint should be mandatory.

    Some final recommendations:
    I should like to appear as a big boy.
    Kindly limit your palette to fire alarm red.
    Sign the painting on my foot
    so your name will always be my shoe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WHERE I'M FROM
    by Christin L.

    I am from floor and skates,
    From Martin Luther King skating rink.
    I’m from playing sports
    From basketball and football
    From Darrin and Bryan
    I am from carnivals, restaurants, and Odessey fun world
    From “be a leader and not a follower”
    And “you want to be with the do’s, not the don’t’s”
    I’m from a lovely family
    From a clean, nice house
    Huge trees and good friends.
    From chicken and macaroni
    From brownies and cupcakes
    I’m from a Christmas morning
    Seven years ago
    With Darrin and Kimyra
    Mom and Dad
    Opening gifts,
    Taking pictures,
    And hanging out.
    Together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Circle of Life and its Extinction
    By Janna (Grade 5)
    Mentor Text: Joyful Voices

    Note: This is a two voices poem. Janna's words are supposed to be on the left and mine on the right, responding to each other. I cannot format it correctly on here, so I just had to do it in lines going down.


    Both: Life.

    Janna: You can never plan your future.

    Becky: You never know what’s going to happen next.

    J: I’m black and I’m white.

    B: What are you?

    J: I’m a panda.
    I’m almost extinct.
    I live in China in a green forest.

    B: Why are you almost extinct?

    J: Because of poachers, hunters, and zoos trying to kill me.

    B: What do you eat?

    J: I eat bamboo from tall trees and I climb trees too.

    B: How do you move?

    J: I move on all fours at a pretty good rate.

    B: What is your personality?

    J: Peaceful, quiet, humble, and calm.

    B: You’re a black and white panda.
    You are almost extinct because of poachers and hunters trying to kill you.
    You eat bamboo from tall trees.
    You climb them too.
    You move on all fours at a pretty good pace.
    You’re peaceful, quiet, humble, and calm.

    How do you feel about becoming extinct?
    About poachers selling your fur for money?
    About being separated from your family?

    J: Bad, bad, bad, and worse.
    Seriously I’m almost gone completely.
    I’m telling you this because soon I’ll be gone too.

    B: Aren’t you going to ask me about my life story too?

    J: Sure.

    B: I’m a sandy lion and I have a fiery red man.

    J: How do you walk?

    B: I walk on all fours just like you.

    J: Do you have sharp teeth?

    B: Of course.

    J: What is your personality?

    B: King of the Jungle.
    A BIG eater!

    J: What about your culture?

    B: My background is majestic. I have my own kingdom. I have several colors of fur. I even have my own white lion.

    J: Do you sharpen your nails?

    B: All the time, to hunt my prey.

    J: Where do you live?

    B: The African jungle.

    J: How fast do you run?

    B: I run 35 miles per hour.

    J: What kind of animals do you eat?

    B: I eat deer, zebras, pandas, even though we don’t live in the same place. Hey, eat what you find.
    Why did you just walk backwards?

    J: Technical difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am From…

    By Alondra E.

    I am from a large family with all my cousins celebrating quinceaneras.

    I am from soccer, basketball, skateboarding and from bruises.

    I am from movies and laying back on my tan couch.

    I am from hair spray, mouse and a grade school uniform.

    I am from happy and indecisive and lucky to win school raffles.

    I am from the U.S. and take trips to Mexico and some of my cousins are there.

    I am the youngest from my brother and sister so I am the last to graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cristian E.
    If I didn’t have to go to school


    If I didn’t have to go to school

    I would have a lot more fun

    I wouldn’t have to open up another boring book

    I wouldn’t have to wake up early

    Instead, I would be able to stay up late

    I would watch my favorite reality television shows all day

    I would go outside and play, play, play

    I would be the happiest uneducated kid in the world



    Cinquain Poem

    Jail

    Dark, Dangerous

    Fighting, Killing, Stabbing

    Scared, Lonely, Guilty, Miserable

    Prison

    ReplyDelete
  18. My Name Is Me
    By Bryant Jasso

    (based on poem "My Name Is Me" by Cynthia Rivera in the book Tell the World)

    My name is funny
    My name is funny when somebody says something about me and I can quickly say something back.

    My name is good friend
    I am a good fried when somebody tells me something and I never tell anyone else.

    My name is forgetful
    I am forgetful when I leave house keys in the door.

    My name is annoying
    When I turn the TV off on my brother over and over again.

    My name is nice
    I am nice when I share my things and do not pick on anyone.

    My name is committed
    I am committed when I get knocked down and get back up and still try my best.

    My name is me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ariana's Poem...

    My Dad

    Who really loves fire fighters
    Who snores louder than my littlie sister screams!
    Who is always funny
    Who is sometimes mad
    Who eats donuts and milk
    Who is very sweet
    Who gives me a high five and says, “Good job!”
    Who always loves me

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can’t help it either way
    By: Makahla
    Mentor Text-Dreamer By: Langston Hughes

    I take my dreams
    And make them into a wonderful and beautiful thing,
    And a pretty butterfly so colorful I start to go blind,
    In a snowy, windy wonderland too white and flawless I cannot believe my eyes,
    And a big beautiful mountain right next to her side,
    And I ask you:
    Do you understand my dreams?
    Sometimes you say I am weird
    And sometimes you say I am ordinary.
    Either way, it doesn’t matter.
    Whichever way, I can’t help it.
    I still continue to dream.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I’m Thankful
    (Based off of I'm Thankful by Jack Prelutsky)
    By: Nicholas Chiu

    I’m thankful for my friends,
    Sometimes they get on my nerves.

    I’m thankful for my brother,
    He always drives me nuts.

    I’m thankful for my bike,
    I crashed and broke a bone.

    I’m thankful for my books,
    My favorite one lost its pages.

    I’m thankful for my friend’s X box 360,
    I barely get to play.

    I’m thankful for my T.V.,
    My favorite show is hardly on.

    I’m thankful for so many things,
    Except, of course, for salons!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum, Yum, Bacon!
    by Jake, age 10

    Bacon! Bacon! Bacon!
    I love bacon!
    That’s all I want to eat.
    Crunch, crunch, crunch!
    I eat it on bread.
    I put it on my burgers.
    Bacon in my mouth,
    Bacon at a party,
    Bacon in my ice cream,
    And bacon in a bowl.
    Bacon topped with tomatoes!
    Yum! Yum! Yum!
    Bacon with my sausage biscuit,
    Oh and I really love bacon on my chicken!
    Bacon dipped in vanilla ice cream,
    Bacon rolled in balls,
    Bacon on my bagels,
    Bacon on my chalkboard.
    Bacon in my belly!
    More bacon, more bacon,
    Even though-
    I have a tummy ache.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am From...

    I am from the computer,
    From books and pictures.
    I am from the fancy white house,
    The tranquility.
    I am from the white velvet roses,
    The rose bush,
    Whose spikey thorns I remember,
    As if they were my own.
    I’m from vacations and perfection,
    From True and Princeton.
    I’m from bad attitude and mindless,
    And from stylish.
    I’m colorful and graceful,
    And Rain, Rain Go Away.
    I’m from eating ducks.
    I’m from an island and doodles,
    Crab legs and lobster.
    From the doodles in my fancy notebook,
    Which are colorful and greasy.
    Flashback from when it was my 1st birthday.
    In the computer,
    Hiding in the search engine.

    Written By: Abria Barker-6th Grade
    Inspired By: I Am From-Rachel Pomykala

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cristian E.
    8th Grade

    How Cruel Can Mankind Be?

    How cruel can mankind be?
    They can be so cruel that they tied ropes around little kids and treated them like slaves.
    They can be so cruel that they separate families.
    They can be so cruel that they put people into Ghettos.
    They can be so cruel that they trick people into showering in hydrochloric acid.
    They can be so cruel that they make people starve.
    They can be so cruel that they kill people in common graves.
    Mankind can be VERY cruel, if they choose to.

    ReplyDelete
  25. If I were…
    by Nicholas Chiu
    4th Grade

    If I were a book
    I would look at my tall reader
    I would see their wide eyes moving
    I would feel happy when they picked me up
    I would feel the reader tickling me when they flipped my pages
    I would hear them reading my long words
    I would smell their smelly breath

    ReplyDelete
  26. Private Quarters
    By Angelo A. Sandoval

    I see
    BIG TIME RUSH poster
    bunk beds
    blue Spiderman curtains

    I hear
    AJ YELLING
    my echoes
    AC/DC on the radio

    I smell
    my stinky brother
    barbeque ribs

    I feel
    cold metal
    strong, cold wind
    happy to read Diary of a Wimpy Kid

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stereotypes Vs. Truth
    by Kyriel K.

    He is a bad influence on people. With black hoodie black pants and his black coat and also his black skin

    I am a black athlete.

    He is never going do something with his life.

    I am going to school in I got good grades and I am going to be successful. I go to class on time. I turn in my homework.

    All he do is list to hip-hop.

    Well I do because I like they music and r and b.

    He is mad all the time.

    No not all the time I am just mad when you talk about me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What I Can’t and Can Do
    by Angelo Sandoval

    I can’t drive a car

    I can’t go back in time

    I can’t fight zombie pirates

    I can’t make electricity

    I can sing BIG TIME RUSH

    I can play the guitar

    I can run fast

    I can write stories

    I can subtract, add, multiply, and do fractions

    ReplyDelete
  29. by Ariana

    Frida

    Frida Kahlo’s heart holds her imaginary friend, her love, painting.
    Her eyes are like raindrops pouring down canvases as she paints herself crying instead of crying herself.
    Her leg is as broken as a piece of glass slammed against the wall into a million pieces. It cannot be fixed and she will with walk with a cane forever.
    Her torso is a spike, stabbing, and aching, badly hurting her.
    Her mouth is as quiet like as a library not because she is told to “shh” but because she doesn’t have anyone to talk to. She is lonely.
    She lives in a painting of herself, full of the things she sees and examines, but mostly of her feelings that she does not want to feel.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. OUT OF MY LIFE
    by Christin L.

    I want people
    To stop acting
    Like they’re they best
    Person in the whole wide world.

    I want my friend Fred
    To stop acting
    Like he’s funny
    Because he’s really not

    I want people
    To stop acting like they’re tough
    Because they’re not
    And who knows
    You might get knocked out.

    I want Ms. Fuller
    To stop acting scared
    And whining
    Like a one year old.

    I want to get done
    With this poem
    Because I am
    A little tired.

    ReplyDelete
  32. If We Were…
    By Anthony LoCoco

    If I were a ball
    I would bounce like kung-fu
    If you were a hoop
    I would bounce into you

    If I were a ball
    I would be thrown at you
    If you were a bat
    You would hit me until I moo

    If I were a bottle
    I would hold you, you’ll see
    If you were the water
    You would swoosh in me

    If I was a chocolate bar
    I would be tasty to bite
    If you were my wrapper
    You would hold me tight

    If I were a ham sandwich
    I would taste good forever
    If you were the cheese
    We would taste so good together

    If I were a pencil
    I would write
    If you were an eraser
    You would erase until the paper is white

    If I were a planet
    I would be around you
    If you were a star
    You would be with me in the blue

    If I were a finger
    I would bend, point, and itch
    If you were an itch
    I would scratch you in a pinch

    If I were a cat
    I would lick my paws all day
    If you were a dog
    I would swat you away


    If I were a bullet
    I would be bitter when the trigger is pulled
    If you were a shell
    We would shoot out together
    Until you fall off
    Then I’ll loose you forever.

    ReplyDelete